Help & Support
For tips on how to navigate our Website and use our most popular resources, please view our helpful navigation videos.
If you have technical support questions about the IRIS Website, email our help desk at support-IRIS@vanderbilt.edu or reach us by phone between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. (CST) at 800-831-6134 or (615) 343-6006.
To get the full benefit from our resources—and to make certain that the multimedia components run smoothly on your device—you will need to make certain that your computer meets certain minimum hardware and operating system requirements. We’ve outlined these for you below.
- Intel 1.3GHz or faster processor
- Microsoft Windows XP Home, Professional, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 3 (32 bit) or Service Pack 2 (64 bit); Windows Server 2003 (32 bit and 64 bit; Service Pack 2 required for 64 bit); Windows Server 2008 or 2008 R2 (32 bit and 64 bit); Windows Vista® Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 2 (32 bit and 64 bit); Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit)
- 256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)
- 260MB of available hard-disk space
- 1024×576 screen resolution
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or 8; Firefox 3.5 or 3.6
- Video hardware acceleration (optional)
Note: For 64-bit versions of Windows Server 2003 R2 and Windows XP (with Service Pack 2), Microsoft Update KB930627 is required.
- Intel processor
- Mac OS X v10.5.8 or v10.6.4
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- 415MB of available hard-disk space
- 800×600 screen resolution (1024×768 recommended)
- Safari 4 for Mac OS X v10.5.8; Safari 4 or 5.0.x for Mac OS X v10.6.4
- Chrome: 5 or later
- Firefox: 1.0.2 or later
- Internet Explorer: 7 or later
- Chrome: 3 or later
- Firefox: 1.0.7 or later
- Safari: 2 or later
- iOS4 or later
- Your browser must be set to accept all cookies
- SSL/Secure Mode is required. To make certain your browser is secure, look for a closed lock or an unbroken key at the bottom of the Checkout page.
- Encryption Level should be 128 bit
Among the most common technical issues experienced by visitors to our Website is their use of older or outdated Web browsers. To make sure you get the most out of our resources, please make certain that yours is up to date.
Download the latest version of Chrome from https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/
Download the latest version of Firefox from http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/
Internet Explorer for Windows updates are available via Windows Update or directly from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/default.mspx
Updates for Safari are available via the Software Update in Mac OS X’s App Store
The latest version of Safari for Windows can be found at http://appldnld.apple.com/Safari5/041-5487.20120509.INU8B/SafariSetup.exe
The IRIS Center is proud to maintain a Website that meets the compliance regulations and criteria for online accessibility expressed in Section 508 of the U.S. Rehabilitation Act. Besides being subject to periodic tests and evaluation by individuals with disabilities, the IRIS Website features:
- Barrier- and password-free accessibility to the site itself: To facilitate ease-of-use and barrier-free visits, the IRIS Website does not ask our users to sign in or create an account to view our free materials and resources. Only those wishing to make purchases through our PD Hours Store are required to create an account ID and password.
- Keyboard site navigation option for those who have difficulty manipulating a mouse: Certain kinds of disabilities make using a computer mouse unwieldy and difficult. For this reason, the IRIS Website features simple navigation via your keyboard. Use the “tab” key to cycle through the links and buttons on a given page, and tap “enter” to make your selection.
- Alt text descriptions of pictures and graphics: For those with visual disabilities, we include alt text descriptions of the photos and descriptions of the artwork, tables, and graphs that appear in IRIS Modules and other resources so that those who might have difficulty seeing them can nevertheless take full part in those materials.
- Consistent navigation across sections and online features: Every section of the IRIS Website was carefully considered and designed with a consistency of form and function in mind. Accessibility features present on one page are present on every page, something we believe will help to ease the difficulty and frustration of navigating a large Website with many features. This sentiment also applies to our STAR Legacy Modules, which are built around a consistent, predictable format that offers a variety of navigation options.
- Video captioning: All IRIS Challenge videos, video interviews, and instructional demonstrations are closed captioned for those who have hearing impairments.
- Transcripts of all audio and video features and written descriptions of video presentations not featuring speech or dialogue: Also for those with hearing impairments, the IRIS Center creates transcripts of every audio and video feature on the site, including those videos that might not include dialogue. Simple click on the link beneath the audio or video to access its print version.
As further innovations in Website accessibility become available, the IRIS Center will review all current features and layouts, striving always to make our online home a more welcoming place for anyone who wishes to visit.
IRIS PD Hours Store
If you have technical support questions about the IRIS PD Hours Store, email our help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org or reach us by phone between 8:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. (CST) at 800-831-6134 or (615) 343-6006.
The IRIS Center is committed to protecting your personal information. Any data entered into our online store–including your name, billing address, email, and credit card number–will be used solely for the purpose of processing your order. Under no circumstances will we sell or rent your information to a third party.
Cancellations will be accepted up to one hour after the order has been submitted, and only if the Module’s Post-Test has not been taken. In this case, please send your request through email@example.com or call us at 615-343-6006 or 800-831-6134. If our offices are closed, we will use the timestamp on the email or the voicemail message to consider cancellation requests.
Your IRIS Module purchases are available immediately upon completion of your order via our IRIS online store. Please remember to log in to your account to access your Module and receive PD credit. Modules accessed via the IRIS Resource Locator or online search engine will not record your progress and no credit can be awarded. You have 90 days to complete the module.
How do I take an online course?
1. Purchase the Module(s) through our secure online ordering system.
2. Follow the online instructions to access the My Professional Development page.
3. Take the Pre-Test for your selected Module (note: exiting a test before it is completed will result in the loss of that data and forfeit of one attempt).
4. Review the Module at your leisure (you have 90 days).
5. Take the Post-Test. You may take the Post-Test a total of three (3) times without additional charge. The highest score you achieve will appear on your certificate.
6. Generate your Certificate (Select Pre- and/or Post-Test scores if you want your highest score displayed on the certificate).
7. Print or email the certificate.
How much time will I be allowed to complete a Module?
You have 90 days from the date of purchase to complete the course. You will receive email reminders every 30 days until the Module is either completed or has expired.
How much time do I have to complete a quiz?
There is no time limit while you take the Pre- and Post-Tests. If you are unable to complete the Pre- or Post-Test in one session, you will lose the data and will be required to start over. You are permitted only three (3) attempts at the Post-Test.
How many questions are in each quiz?
The number of quiz questions varies from Module to Module. There are 10-15 questions in each Pre- and Post-Test.
Can I access online Modules from any computer after the purchase?
Yes. To access your account, you need to login using the same user ID (your email address) and password you used previously.
Can I get a refund for my purchase?
You can preview all of our Modules prior to purchase. Because of this cancellations will be accepted up to one hour after the order has been submitted, and only if the Module’s Post-Test has not been taken. In this case, please send your request through firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 615-343-6006 or 800-831-6134. If our offices are closed, we will use the timestamp on the email or the voicemail message to consider cancellation requests.
Can I order several Modules at the same time?
Yes. You can order several Modules in one transaction. Keep in mind, however, that each Module must be completed within 90 days of purchase.
Can I share my discount coupon code with my colleagues?
No. Your discount coupon code is for your use only.
How long does it take for you to activate my course after payment?
Your Module will be available immediately after completion of the transaction.
Do I have another chance to take the quiz if I fail on the first attempt?
Yes. You can take the Post-Test up to three (3) times without additional charge.
Can I view your sample certificate?
Yes. Click the sample certificate of completion for a larger view.